Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Current Event #2



Okay so my current event this week was on bottling water. Some might say it sounds boring, but the article I read brought up some topics that are a concern to many people today. It argued that bottling water in the Great Lakes area is not environmentally friendly. One company that was targeted was the Nestle brand. People in the area near the Nestle plant in Canada fight that if they are making a profit and commercializing water, it is not fair that they pay the same price as any other water user. Also, considering the environmental effects many ask when is water considered a consumer good. Good questions, huh?

Well, while I was reading it I put myself in the company's shoes. What are they to do? If we couldn't take water from natural resources I don't know where else we would so I don't think there is an easy answer to this one. Both sides of the argument are legit and backed up with facts. I think this whole bottling process is something that the world has adapted to, (I mean isn't bottled water still a fad?), and we just need to accept. As long as we recycle the plastic I think the whole water situation will work itself out....at least I hope!

No comments: