Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Election Blog Week #3




Looking into the Virginia Senate Race, the candidates are Mark Warner (D) and Jim Gilmore (R). Warner served as governor from 2002-2006. He has been involved with the largest investment in K-12 education, the Chesapeake Bay clean-up, budget cuts, and making business-like reforms. In addition, he also chaired the National Governors Association. Mark Warner is best known for his bi-partisan approach to politics. Gilmore is the son of working class parents from Richmond. He was the 68th Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia (focused on education and tax cuts), attended the University of Virginia, and volunteered in the U.S. Army. Gilmore also served as the Virginia Attorney General working to investigate Medicaid fraud, government waste, and consumer protection. Both candidates have much to offer. They have the experience needed to actively and accurately represent Virginia in the U.S. Senate. With our suffering economy and more and more coverage getting scarce to find, Health care is the top issue at stake in this election. Mark Warner is fighting to fix this problem. He plans to bring down the price of prescription drugs and believes that everyone should have access to affordable, universal Health care coverage. Jim Gilmore plans to bring about tax reforms to help peoples ability to buy health insurance. To do this his plan is to start with small businesses and make it easier for them to afford the Health care. He also plans to crack down on the frivolous lawsuits that are contributing to this crisis and increase technology in the medical field to more accurately diagnose and treat patients.

According to the Election Forecasting Punditry, Warner is leading the polls with a 57% to Gilmore's 37%. As the days get closer it will be interesting to see how much more attention the candidates recieve and what other issues, on top of Health, care stand out as the most important.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

DUDE...warner is my BOI...haha...jk...but realy...I like him. I guess I am biased. I totally agree with the polls and I also did the senate race. I feel that warner will be able to represent the good 'ol VA very well. Also, he was the most recent governor of the two, meaning that he knows of the more recent isues that Virginia faces. Very nice post Carrie...very insightful...and better than mine because I did bullet notes (don't under-estimate those bullets though!)...

Ronny! said...

Hey Carrie!
Thanks for the comment! Yeah definitely cool that we chose the same topic and as well as the same focuses in the Senate Race! I'm pretty glad that Warner is focused on a K-12 education, more benefits for the kids yay! Definitely glad that both of them feel the economic issues and energy issue is important to deal with too!
Nice blog Carrie! :)

Sarah Tagg said...

I agree with Tyler, very insightful and well thought!! I believe that k-12 education is very important because it's the foundation of everyone's education! I liked your post!!